Today was my son’s first day of school. Last year, when he started kindergarten, I wanted to be sure our mornings got started off right. I made a printable checklist so he could see exactly what needed to be done each morning.
Download: Morning Routine Printable
I am also including this printable in my Etsy shop, but my readers get it absolutely free! (This download is for personal use only. Do not share the direct link to the .pdf/.jpg file. Please link back to the original post when sharing.)
I had it all printed out the night before and we went over it, so he knew just what to do. He was still at the very early stages of reading, so I included pictures and words to help him out. Once printed I laminated it so we can use a dry erase marker to check things off! It was so cute the first morning because he was so excited to start school he did everything on his list without me even saying anything to him.
We are using the same list again this year and it worked out great this morning!
Tips for a smooth morning:
- A calm morning starts the night before:
- Lay out clothes and shoes the night before.
- Pack all backpacks the night before.
- Pack lunches the night before or, at least, lay out everything you need for the morning to prepare your child’s lunch.
- Allow your child plenty of time to complete everything that needs to be done. If you know it takes him 5 minutes to tie his shoes, don’t have him put them on one minute before you are leaving.
- If your child is not a morning person that and has a hard time hard to wake up, allow even more time!
- Wake up yourself fifteen minutes to a half an hour before your child so you have time to wake up and have a cup of coffee in peace.
*UPDATE* I created a new morning printable for older children.
You may also like: