I have another fun project we did last year for St. Patrick’s Day. Since many people decorate and do crafts with rainbows for St. Patrick’s Day, I thought making rainbow jello would be fun!
- 6 packages of jello (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple – flavors of your choice)
- Clear plastic or glass cups or bowls (tall and skinny ones work best)
This project is fairly straight forward. Make the first color of jello according to package directions. You can either start with red or purple, depending on which direction you want your rainbow. After you have made the jello, pour a small amount into each of your cups.
Let the jello set up for 30 minutes to an hour before you add another color or your colors will just blend together. Pour your next level of jello very slowly and carefully. Keep adding layers of jello until you have all six colors in your cup.
Top with a whip cream ‘cloud’ (totally optional) and enjoy!
Some thoughts on making rainbow jello:
- I would recommend making one large pan of rainbow jello rather than individual cups. Prepare the recipe for Jello Jigglers (where you use half the amount of water). Pour each layer into a large rectangular pan. Follow instructions above. After all the layers have been made, cut it out into bars and top with whip cream.
- If you are going to do this project, be aware it makes a LOT of jello! This would be a great project to do for a party or another event where you will have more than 2 children eating the jello.
- Small, skinny, tall cups work best. Otherwise you end up with so much jello in one cup.
- This was a fun project and I think it turned out really cute, but it is really time consuming and not something I plan on doing every year.
Have you ever made rainbow jello? How did it turn out?