Back in 2013, I posted a recipe for how to make rainbow jello. After I wrote that post I vowed to never make rainbow jello again because it took so much time. It was not difficult to make but I knew there had to be a better way to make this recipe quickly (or at least, faster than the entire day it took me the first time around). So, I did some experimenting and was able to make this rainbow jello recipe in less than an hour!
This post contains affiliate links. Your cost is the same, but a portion of your purchase will go to support this site and help keep the content free. Please read my full disclosure policy here.
- 6 packages of 3 oz. jello (red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple – any flavors)
- 6 cups hot water
- 6 cups ice
- Clear plastic cups
Step 1: To start with you will add your purple powdered gelatin mix into a bowl.
Step 2: Add 1 cup boiling water. Stir to dissolve. (Approximately 2 minutes)
Step 3: Add 1 cup ice cubes and stir until they are melted. (Approximately 2 minutes)
Note: If your jello has a lot of foam on top or any remaining unmelted ice cubes, skim them off the top.
Step 4: Add 2 – 3 tablespoons of the jello mixture into clear plastic cups. I found it easiest to transfer the cups back and forth by setting all the cups on a metal tray.
Step 5: Freeze the jello cups for 5 – 8 minutes.
While, the jello is setting up, repeat steps 1 – 3 for the next color of jello. When the first layer of jello has set up in the freezer, add your next layer of jello – repeating steps 4 and 5. Repeat this process until you have all six colors of jello in your cups.
Place the cups in the refrigerator for 30 minutes for soft jello and 1 hour for firmer jello.
Since I was able to make each color while the previous layers were setting up, rather than the 30 minutes per layer the first time I made this, the whole process took under an hour. So now, we can have rainbow jello for St. Patrick’s Day or even another Tie Dye Party!
A fun and festive treat to make for a rainbow party or St. Patrick's Day!
- 6 packages 3 ounce jello (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple)
- 6 cups boiling water
- 6 cups ice cubes
- Clear plastic cups
- Whip cream optional
For each layer of jello:
- Dissolve one packet of jello in 1 cup boiling water. Stir to dissolve (approximately 2 minutes).
- Add one cup ice cubes and stir until they are melted (approximately 2 minutes).
- Add 2 - 3 tablespoons of the jello mixture to each cup.
- Freeze for 5 - 8 minutes or until set.
- Repeat the above steps, layering each color of jello until you have all six layers completed.
- Place cups in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour until completely set.
Optional: Top with whip cream.