In the first part of the kitchen reveal I shared all about tiling the counter tops.
Now, we had to move on to the back splash. We decided to do bead board. It was not expensive and will be easy to keep clean since it is painted with semi-gloss paint.
It was about a month after we finished the tiling that we finally had another free weekend to work on the back splash. And let me just say that although the tiling was time consuming, the back splash proved to be a much bigger headache! (And unfortunately, I had problems with my camera memory card and I don’t have many pictures of the process.)
I measured everything. I used a guide I found at The Home Depot to keep track for the counters and back splash. (This one is a little different from the one I downloaded a couple of years ago). I was able to figure out that we could get all the back splash pieces we needed from one single piece of bead board. Once we brought it home, my husband cut the pieces and we did a dry fit of everything before I painted.
We started at one end of the counters and worked our way around. Since the walls and counters are not level or flush, this proved to be tricky, so we had to make a lot of adjustments as we went.
We measured, cut and painted the trim pieces as well. We used quarter round trim for the bottom and another type of trim for the top. Once everything was dry, we installed it all using a brad nail gun. I filled all the holes, caulked, and touched up the paint.
And here is what the kitchen looks like now, with the new counter tops,back splash and sink complete!
And because everyone loves a good before and after.
We spent around $800 on this project – that includes all the supplies needed to tile the counters, the back splash, our new sink, faucet and garbage disposal!
What we still need to complete in the kitchen:
- New flooring (actually, the whole house needs it)
- New light fixture above the stove area
If you have any specific questions, please feel free to leave me a comment. I am sorry I didn’t have better pictures of some of the processes, but my SD card in my camera was being super finicky!
Linking up here: