Hogwarts House Ornaments. Learn how to make these colorful Harry Potter ornaments representing each Hogwarts house.
I am excited that my first holiday craft of the season is a set of Harry Potter ornaments. I am thinking of decorating a small tree in my craft room in a Harry Potter theme this year.
Today, I am going to show you how to make these Hogwarts house ornaments with just a few supplies.
This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge. Please read my full disclosure policy here.
How to Make Hogwarts House Ornaments
Paint the Ornaments
Start by painting the ornaments. Open the top of the plastic or glass ornament and squeeze about a tablespoon of paint inside the ornament. You want to add enough to coat the inside, but not so much that it takes days to dry.
Swirl the paint around to coat the entire interior of the ornament. Place upside down in a disposable cup to allow the excess paint to drip out.
Note: If your paint is really thick you can add a couple of drops of water to help swirl the paint. Do not add too much water or your paint will be too watery and won’t provide enough coverage.
Leave the ornaments upside down for a couple of hours to allow the excess paint to drain out. Then remove the ornaments from the cups and allow them to dry overnight.
Once the ornament is dry, you can place the hanger back inside the globe.
Add Hogwarts House Animals Stickers
Cut out the Hogwarts house animals using a Cricut machine and silver glitter vinyl.
Cricut Design Space File: Hogwarts House Ornaments
Once the designs are cut out, cut the individual animals apart and weed the excess vinyl around each design.
Usually I use transfer tape to transfer vinyl designs, but in this case with the round ornaments, it is easier to peel the vinyl off like a sticker and place it on each ornament.
Start by placing the middle of the vinyl sticker on the ornament and then smooth out the edges as you go. You may get a few small wrinkles if your ornaments are smaller like these two-inch ones I used.
Don’t have a Cricut? You can create a similar ornament using these Hogwarts House crest stickers.
After you have applied the vinyl house animals to each ornament, cut corresponding colors of glitter ribbon for each ornament.
Loop the ribbon through the top of each ornament. Cut a V shape on each ribbon end.
I love how these ornaments turned out! The painted ornaments look so good on the tree. You could even leave the stickers off entirely if you were doing a Harry Potter tree and they would still be recognizable. I can’t wait to make more ornaments for a Harry Potter tree this year!
Creative Crafts – Harry Potter Holiday Edition
This craft is part of Creative Crafts Harry Potter Holiday Edition. Creative Crafts is a series hosted by Me and My INKlings, Creatively Beth, Bella Crafts Publishing, and Artsy Fartsy Mama. Some of your favorite crafters come together to create crafts around a specific theme! Check the posts below for more Harry Potter craft ideas.
- Harry Potter Hand Painted Ornaments by Laura of Me and My Inklings
- Christmas Cheer & Butterbeer SVG by Lindsay of Artsy Fartsy Mama
- Harry Potter Free Printable Tags by Smitha of Smiling Colors
- Hogsmeade Christmas Tree Farm SVG by Shani of Sunshine & Munchkins
- Weasley Christmas Sweater Ornaments by Erica of 5 Little Monsters
- Harry Potter Hedwig the Owl Ornament by Justine of Little Dove
- Magical Harry Potter Christmas Ornaments by Kelsey of Poofy Cheeks
- Patronus Ornaments with Free Templates by Beth of Creatively Beth
- Magical Harry Potter Wand Ornament by Laura of Me and My Inklings
- Free Printable Happy Christmas Cards by Liz of Liz on Call
- Harry Potter Stocking Treat Boxes by Kimberly of Crafting Cheerfully
- Ornaments Inspired by Harry Potter by Ginger of Ginger Snap Crafts
- Hogsmeade for the Holidays SVG by Elise of Polka Dotted Blue Jay
- Magical Harry Potter Christmas Ornament by Teresa of Simply Made Fun
Enter to win an exclusive Harry Potter Christmas Ornament AND a $50 Gift Card for Michael’s using the Rafflecopter widget below.a Rafflecopter giveaway
You may also like: