Last year for my niece’s birthday I made her doll clothes for her American Girl doll. When I asked my brother what she would like for this year’s birthday he told me she requested more clothes. This year I chose a new pattern to make a few pieces from. I purchased all the fabric and trim from Jo Ann’s.
I chose a McCall’s
pattern. This one was a little harder for me to work with than the Simplicity
one I used last year
. I am still a novice sewer and I easily get confused by the instructions that come with the patterns, but luckily I was able to figure it all out!
Here is the pattern I chose:
I decided to make part of the outfit you see in the bottom left corner. It consisted of a long sleeve shirt, jeans and an apron. I actually chose this pattern because of all the little aprons. I love grown up ones and these little dolls ones were just too cute!
I started by making the long sleeve shirt. It has a velcro closure on the back. I love the white flower detail in the fabric. The fabric for this shirt was from the quilting section.
You can see my not so straight stitching of the velcro. Like I said, I am still learning!
Next, I sewed up the jeans. I used thin denim from the apparel department. The front has a straight waistband and the back is elastic to get them on and off easily.
And this is where the project stopped for months. I was scared of sewing this tiny apron. My skills (or lack thereof) got the best of me. Luckily, when I finally just got in there and started sewing, it wasn’t really too hard. The trickiest part was turning the fabric right side out on the tiny tie in the back.
I am hoping next year if she requests any more doll clothes, I will be a little more confident in my skills so I can get her present to her in a timely fashion. I get the not-so-great Aunt award on that part of the present!
The best part is that when my daughter gets a little older and needs some doll clothes, I should be a pro!
Linking up here: